A Busy Belle’s Guide to Healthy Snacks
Girls on the go love their snacks. They are quick and easy and keep us from going hungry throughout the day. Before we toss a snack in our bag, we need to ask ourselves if that snack is the best choice. Sometimes snacks can be unhealthy and while they may decrease your hunger, they will also eventually decrease your energy level. These healthy snacks will help keep busy girls going.
- Air popped popcorn is a healthy choice and easy to carry around. Pop it, toss it in a Ziploc and into your bag and you’re ready to go.
- Non fat cottage cheese is low in saturated fat. It is also a good source of Riboflavin, Vitamin B12, Calcium and Selenium and is also a very good source of Protein, giving you a little energy boost.
- Hard Boiled Eggs are a great source of protein. Although they take a little longer to prepare and tend to be a little messy when removing the shell, they are delicious and healthy.
- Hummus is very healthy and is an easy dip to make. Try dipping carrots, crackers, celery or bell peppers for a delicious treat.
- Peanut Butter is an easy snack. Stores now have personal servings of peanut butter available that are easy to pack. Sliced apples go great with peanut butter and are also another healthy snack!
- Fruit and Fruit Smoothies allow you to choose the fruit you like the best. Smoothie blenders are available that allow for no mess smoothie making. The blender, minus the blade of course, is your cup to take on the go. Freezing your favorite fruits, like mango or grapes, is also a healthy choice.
- Almonds are a good source of fiber, lower cholesterol and a handful can help you to maintain a healthy weight.
- Vegetables including broccoli, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers are all great choices for a healthy snack. They are easy to take on the go and go great with a healthy dip, like Hummus.
- Tuna and Sliced Chicken Breast are both healthy meat choices. You can eat these by themselves or with a side of vegetables.
- Non-fat and Frozen Yogurt are delicious treats that are easy to pack and quick to eat. They are a good source of protein and carbohydrates.
- Pickles and Olives are a great side to a healthy sandwich.
- Protein Bars are the easiest healthy snack to take on the go. They are prepackaged and come in different flavors, including chocolate!
Most of these snacks provide you with protein. Protein is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood. Our body is unable to store protein and needs a large amount of it, especially those who are constantly on the go. A healthy snack with an adequate amount of protein is a great choice. The best part about these healthy choices are that most of these are easy to make and/or throw in your bag on your way out the door. Some of these choices can also be combined to make an even more satisfying, yet healthy, snack that will keep us energized all day long!